I would like to Revisit the Request for the Atahualpa Theme.
For use on https://atahualpatheme.wordpress.com/
I really like the Atahualpa Theme because it is so flexible and because it can be customized in easy ways, to suit many different needs. Given my choice I would rather not use any other theme.
I acknowledge the many answers timethief, lance and others have made in this regard. These usually point to the number of changes and amount of work need to adapt Atahualpa to WPMU, in older posts, and similarly in newer post based on either:
- Atahualpa was Originally written for a single site, or
- Atahualpa was previously looked at and rejected, perhaps a few times.
I also acknowledge that this is a popular theme at wordpress.org and would be a good addition to the wordpress.com family, IF conditions were such to make it available.
I further acknowledge that virtually every month, one or two topics, at the forums of wordpress.com, address the Atahualpa Theme attesting to it’s popularity. Even though Atahualpa is not a part of wordpress.com.
Plus, I acknowledge that there are favorable changes that may make adding Atahualpa to wordpress.com that were not available the last time the Atahualpa Theme was seriously considered.
In order to be taken seriously allow me to offer the following:
- I worked at DARPA
- I worked on ARPANET
- I have written program code for four decades
- I have written PHP for 15 years
- I write code the old fashion way, with a text editor
- I have a couple dozen wordpress.org type blogs running on one server with one WP multiNetwork / multisite Atahualpa Theme
- I rarely get involved with any project I do not believe in.
- I am often asked how to use the Atahualpa Theme on wordpress.com
During the end of last year, I began looking for a better theme for my wife to use on our WP MultiNetwork / MultiSite server. She does not write PHP and has a difficult time with FTP.
The features of the Atahualpa Theme were fantastic, but its single site architecture made it undesirable. After looking at others, I began to modify in minor ways the Atahualpa Theme to make it compatible in a MultiSite configuration. These were made between January and April of 2011.
The Features of the Atahualpa Theme can be read about elsewhere. The features of this modification, to make it ready for both multi sites and for WordPress.com, are:
- Upload of rotating headers via the WordPress Image Uploader
- Upload of the logo via the WordPress Image Uploader
- Upload if the Favicon via the WordPress Image Uploader
- After install by Staff, NO FTP Needed!
- Complete Integration of the Atahualpa Theme
- WordPress Standards Compliant
This modified theme is operational on live sites, in the following MultiSite versions of WordPress to date.
I am currently using a single copy of this theme for the following four sites (as well as 30 more sites running together in MultiSite mode).
- The Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship International
- The Francis Kong Archive Conversion
- LAN Net Working! (My Blog on writing code.)
- New LipHe (New Life and healing website.)
I believe this modified Atahualpa Theme could be easily added to wordpress.com and I am willing to support the theme’s modifications as needed for wordpress.com. Furthermore I am willing to work with the wordpress.com team to improve this theme for use on wordpress.com. For example, I have a tiny mod that allows a custom favicon (.ico) to be uploaded and used via the WordPress Image Uploader.
I hope that the Staff at wordpress.com will reconsider the Atahualpa Theme, and will see that the modified Atahualpa Theme would be a valuable asset to the users of wordpress.com.